Blue Sky's Rio

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Re: Blue Sky's Rio

Post by Dacey » April 18th, 2011, 1:13 am

Was it the character that you hated, or will.i.am himself? ;)

Granted, the character was obviously there just so will.i.am could do his thing. But he happens to be very good at doing that. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 18th, 2011, 1:57 pm

Ouch! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » April 18th, 2011, 6:00 pm

You got me. :mrgreen:

I can't stand that dude, or the Black eyed sellouts for that matter. I've never really been a fan of having celebrities play themselves as pointless comic relief characters anyway.

On a positive note, I did like his sidekick, the little canary. He was cute. :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » April 19th, 2011, 6:56 am

The design & animation of Rio is gorgeous. I loved the 'look' and the physical performance of every character and locale in the movie.

The overall story is fun; if a bit predictable.

There is very little else of Rio about which I have much positive to say. :?

so .. here's yet another Blue Sky movie which I will only watch with the 'mute' button active, from now on. :|

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » May 15th, 2011, 5:49 pm

They took the villain song and mashed in the angry birds. How...weird. :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Lorikeet » May 15th, 2011, 10:38 pm

Well, I finally got around to my Rio matinee. At the expense of some work I could have been doing, but hey.

In a word, I have to say that I was underwhelmed. Because I had read the rottentomatoes blurbs and seen other peoples' comments here and on iMDB, I didn't go in expecting anything really creative or original, but even so, I thought most of the movie was dull. One thing I was expecting, however, was more music. And also some music that was actually, you know, good. I didn't hate the will.i.am song, but the villain bird's song made me want to facepalm myself.

There were some things that I liked, such as the scenes with Linda and Julio on the motorcycle, and Blu's generally awkward responses to everything ("cheese and sprinkles!") were funny. But overall, everything in the movie just seemed so old-hat. I hope Blue Sky takes on some riskier projects in the future. :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 16th, 2011, 7:28 am

Well, I don't get the point of that clip (it's not technically a mash-up), but I have to say I quite liked the song.

It's not top-drawer, though, reminding me of something Tim Curry would probably sing in a 1990s direct-to-video, and I didn't get that the bird is obviously making some homeboy style moves and yet seems to have an upper-crust voice.

Again visually, though, I like the look, which is what I think I'm going to like Rio for when I eventually catch it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Riv » May 16th, 2011, 3:28 pm

I actually thought the villains song was the highlight musical number, just because of how it nails the Flight of the Conchords vibe

Especially the "... and malicious" :P

I wonder if Jemaine Clement helped write the song?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 16th, 2011, 3:32 pm

The film's not a musical, Ben. It just wants to trick the audience into thinking that it is.

As I said earlier, most of the "songs" run little over a minute, ending as soon as they begin. It's very dissapointing.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » May 16th, 2011, 4:35 pm

Despite having songs, I wouldn't consider Rio a musical. Most of the marketing for animated features these days are mostly false advertising, the infamous example out of this is probably how Disney marketed tangled as a Dreamworks fairy-tale styled animated feature.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » May 16th, 2011, 6:21 pm

Not to mention -- despite a lot of talk about 'samba' in the movie -- very few of the songs in Rio exhibit the flavor of traditional music associated with Rio.

The opening/closing song sequence comes closest, and there's one soft jazzy ballad during a streetcar ride .. but, as Dacey points out, they're over before you know it.

The villain's song and the Will.i.am funky business (which I did actually enjoy in Madagascar 2) -- along with the horrendously annoying "Let Me Take You to Rio" -- simply don't feel appropriate to the locale.

A missed opportunity .. similar (IMO) to the lack of 1920's dixieland jazz in The Princess and the Frog. :|

-----------------

However, as I said earlier .. the film's design and animation are absolutely gorgeous. Rio is a beautiful movie to behold. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » May 16th, 2011, 6:47 pm

Riv wrote: I wonder if Jemaine Clement helped write the song?
Indeed he did. Incidentally, will.i.am also wrote the "Hot Wings" number. However, most of the songs were written by John "How to Train Your Dragon" Powell.

To be honest, I thought the level of energy was so high and I was never bored and I enjoyed the presence of the characters so much, that any predictable story devices didn't bother me and the only point where I was sad, was when it ended.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 17th, 2011, 1:42 pm

Sounds like a mish-mash but wonderful looking movie! When I finally catch Blu on Blu, I'll probably come out humming the scenery! ;)