Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: Diamond Edition

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 14th, 2009, 12:44 pm

And from what we hear out of the D23 Convention, seems like that fan-fakie rumor about "Dumboland" at WDW may not be so fakie after all...
Knew something had to be up: Dumbo going to Blu under its own power, with no ulterior motives?? :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Aaron_03 » September 15th, 2009, 10:13 pm

I'm considering getting this copy of the diamond edition...

http://www.disneystore.com/animated-dvd ... 029/13532/

you get the books and it comes with a DVD. Also, it doesn't have the witch on the center of the cover art like the orginal blu-ray one does.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 16th, 2009, 9:30 am

Yes, but get it at the Amazon link above for a lot less! :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » September 16th, 2009, 3:04 pm

Couldn't find it anywhere mentioned in the thread, but Disney is offering an upgrade coupon for those in the US and Canada who already own a copy of Snow White and are thinking of getting the Diamond Edition. It's connected to the Movie Rewards site, so first you gotta sign up if you haven't already. Then you input the UPC of your copy of the film (either DVD or VHS), click on the offer banner and you'll be given a $10 off coupon for any one version of the Diamond Edition. The offer is available to print from now til October 19 and the coupon is good from October 6-20.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Aaron_03 » September 17th, 2009, 12:09 am

Ben wrote:Yes, but get it at the Amazon link above for a lot less! :)
Should I trust Amazon, though?

I know it's 9 dollars less.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Deco King » September 19th, 2009, 4:46 am

I'd love the Deluxe Edition Box Set but am afraid that I'll be stung by a huge import tax is there any way around this Ben?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 19th, 2009, 2:39 pm

Nope, not really. Which is another reason I'm undecided. I <I>just want to know what that book is going to contain!!</I>

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Deco King » September 20th, 2009, 2:14 am

Hello Folks !! Here is the first serious review on DVD Beaver it looks like a great review :
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRevie ... lu-ray.htm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 20th, 2009, 8:28 am

Looks like I'm cancelling my big box order: "For those with deep pockets we have the Limited Edition Collector's Set. It will include the same double Blu-rays + DVD set housed in a red box case with a hardcover book (The Making of a Masterpiece), stills, and lapel pins of the seven dwarfs."

Well...I'm not <I>totally</I> convinced that the book will be that one, but it is likely, and I already have that in the 1993 LaserDisc edition. If it <I>is</I> this same book (albeit with newly themed cover) then it looks like it will be a slightly reduced size to fit in the box, so there's nothing really to gain there. I can do without the stills (again the 1993 box came with lithos, though those were ten poster reprints of the reissues) and the pins are not worth the excessive import fee I am looking at to bring this into the UK.

So...which to get? Well, they say that the "collector's Book Set is expected to include the Blu-ray + DVD version of the movie packaged with the same book offered in the Limited Edition", but that just can't be right since it would be too big and even a reduced size reprint wouldn't do that book justice. It looks to me to be like the Lion King and Aladdin box set books, and again I have a similar one in the 2001 UK edition of the Snow White DVD.

Since we're getting the standard 3-disc BD edition in for review, I honestly can't now say that there's much in any of the other releases to make me think I wouldn't simply be satisfied with that itself. It's silly to spend so much on a nice looking box basically for a book I already have, and silly to shell out for the smaller book set when I would already have the disc set included.

I would have been happy to go for the big box if the book had been more worthwhile, and then the other trinkets would have been fun additions. But as I said somewhere above in this topic, they seem to have gone all out on putting so much out there that none of it actually appeals, at least to me. If I was buying from scratch I'd go for the smaller book set, but even the packaging is all screwy! True, the image of Snow White on the front of the box and the disc set is better than the Witch and apple, but it'll be DVD size and won't fit next to the other Disney BDs I have. It's no big deal, since I can put it next to the DVD, but with so many options where's the real choice!?

I think the limited steelbook, from one of the retailer exclusives, is probably the nicest touch, but that's not available to us in the UK and again it would be nuts to shell out more just for a nice case. So, from being genuinely interested in the big box (and indeed placing an order for it), I'm going to go right back to the standard BD edition...and be happy and grumpy about it at the same time, though at least it should stop me being dopey over all this...! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Deco King » September 20th, 2009, 10:19 am

Ben , I'm absolutely certain that the book supplied the Deluxe edition is NOT the same as the book that came with the Laserdisc , as that was written by friends of mine Brian Sibley and Richard Holliss , who are not involved with this book.

I have read somewhere that the new book is illustrated with digitally remastered stills from the movie which would make good sense as it's just had a total overhaul!

There are some great screen caps on the DVD Beaver website review , well nice and crisp images , but not , maybe the scenes I would have chosen to reproduce!

I fear , alas , from a quick perusal that The Witch At The Cauldron deleted scene is not included in the Blu Ray much to my great disappointment!!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 20th, 2009, 10:20 am

Book edition it is, I guess...

The virtual tour through the Hyperion Studios sounds interesting, though. It no longer exists and this is the only way to go through the building besides photos and architectual drawings now. The building itself was torn down decades ago after the relocation to what is now Studio offices... Those offices were the purpose-built animation studio prior to the Eisner regime kicking animation out into warehousing. A new animation studio was later built that was less artist-friendly than the previous campus studio (what is now executive offices).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 20th, 2009, 2:33 pm

Deco...yeah, I'm not sure that it is the same book, as I mentioned. But if you confirm Brian and Richard are not involved then I am still intrigued. If it's just a series of remastered stills, then what's the point? Surely <I>someone</I> knows what the book in the big red box is!?

I think the movie looks soft in the stills they grabbed from the BD, but you're never going to pull tight perfection from Snow White...the film they used just doesn't stand up to that kind of rigorous digital extraction. However, it's sure to look about as good as the Pinocchio disc, wiped clean of anything that looks like "film". ;)

Yes, it appears that, just as the 2001 DVD lost content from the 1993 LD box, so this 2009 BD will lose stuff from what came before. They, of course, need to hold back some things for when Snow White turns 80 in 2017 and they put it out again!

I'm still scratching my head over the "virtual tour" of Hyperion Studios...and worried that this might not be more than we already got in the Walt Disney Treasures Disney Studios set, which offered a similar thing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Aaron_03 » September 25th, 2009, 11:04 pm

BD and (BD + DVD) packs are 24.99

BD - I love the blue bordering better then the gray, but just the fact that Snow White isn't the center piece is just idiotic.

BD + DVD - the only on about this is that the gray border isn't as pretty as the blue.

The Collector Book Set (which comes with BD + DVD set) is 49.99

This looks like the best purchase, but when you look at it, your paying 25$ for small book.

The plush set (which comes with 7 plushes of the seven dwarfs and the BD + DVD set) is 64.99

I think this is a bad deal. 40$ for 7 plushes does not appeal me.

The Exculsive Limited Edition set which comes with virtually everything imaginable cost like 149.99

This is just an insane set. I actually have ot money to get this, but won't even touch it.

It's between the Collector's Book Set and the two Standard sets.

it sucks that not one comes with blue bordering AND Snow White as the center piece. It would make my decision a lot easier.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 29th, 2009, 11:52 am

So anyone got a real clue as to what the BIG book in the BIG RED BOX is?

It's getting close to shipping and I really don't want to deal with having to get it back to Amazon from the UK if it really does turn out to be redundant and would rather cancel my order now than then!

I've searched and searched all over the web and can't find zilch!

THANKS! :)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 29th, 2009, 3:06 pm

Good luck finding someone who's seen a preview of this set...

I sure haven't!

I was lucky they had the open preview display of Wizard of Oz at B & N.

Saved myself $30 getting the disc-only edition of that movie from Target today. The only difference between the Target-Oz set and the giftset disc-wise is the deletion of the digital copy DVD from the Target-Oz set. Otherwise, it's all the same film and extras content-wise.

As for Snow White, it has to be the most documented animated feature film out there and there have been at least 4-5 different making of books and chapters or pages on the making of that film in dozens of other books. I consider myself overwhelmed by "making of" and sketchbook material from Snow White despite the fact that I don't have Pierre Lambert's big white book on Snow White.

My mini-Snow White library made the decision easy for me on which BD edition to get!