Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: Diamond Edition

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 22nd, 2009, 3:19 pm

EricJ wrote:(since only Blus are now "Platinum")
Nope, the name change affects Blu too.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 25th, 2009, 11:12 am

S'ok Dan...Eric's been slacking on those facts. When has he ever let being correct get in the way of another jibe? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Deco King » May 30th, 2009, 11:42 am

The eagerly anicipated Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs Blu Ray , surprisingly , for such a major title , still doesn't appear on the front opening page of www.disneybluray.com , I would have expected it to have had it's own page on www.disneygo.com by now?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Snow White: Diamond Edition

Post by Dusterian » June 6th, 2009, 6:04 pm

EricJ wrote:
Ben wrote:Aaron...at the time of the Cinderella sequel, "Dreams Come True" was made up of three premiere episodes of an aborted TV series. There was no plan to make "A Twist In Time" at that point.
It was based on a stage show performed on the Cruise ships, so that might qualify as "pre-existing material"--
No, in interviews they said they didn't even know about the stage show when they were making "A Twist in Time". Honest. Strange as it may sound, lots of things in life do happen that way.

Ben, you think the Snow White cover should be that 1993 Magic Mirror poster? Hopefully you mean with at least an image of the title character in there. I would also try to fit the dwarfs in as they're in the title, either around her or standing at the bottom of the mirror.

There's this book called "The Disney Villain" with the Evil Queen as a hologram in the mirror. That's how Snow White and the dwarfs could be, though it'd be nice if they could also gave Snow White and the dwarfs their colors.

Here it is:
http://i2.iofferphoto.com/img/116158680 ... 6863/1.jpg

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 6th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Don't worry about Eric's rants or facts, Dusty. They're usually pretty wide of the mark.

Yep...I'd like to see a pretty minimalist, collectors' type cover. It would never be, of course, but the mirror on its own is one of my favorite posters.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » June 6th, 2009, 10:54 pm

Thanks, but nothing about the cool hologram seen in that link, or it being used for the Diamond Edititon covers?

I never understood why minimalism had to be the collector's look. I like looking at as much as possible. After all, we prize detail and lots going on in the animated films themselves. Maybe a cover is different...

I know less can be more, but I believe you can fit a lot of elements in a cover and still make it look good. I think the cover with Snow White in the center and all the characters around her is great. If the hag is just in a wider pose, and everyone drawn better...

I also love that mirror poster, mainly for the idea of making it an actual mirror you reflect in! But I think having actual characters is best to represent a film. So I think this may be a better one:
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/image ... osters.jpg

As for characters being seen more than once in a poster, even in different forms, I like it. Posters are surreal, not real time. The queen never floated above the mirror, or above anyone, all bigger than everyone, for that matter. Poster art is artistic. I love the idea of them putting whatever they want, even scenes of the same characters in different forms, clothes, or poses. A poster having many different scenes that feature the same characters seen in each scene is a cool idea.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » July 29th, 2009, 8:06 am

Hey, any more news on this release? Has Disney released a entire list of special features for the DVD yet?

Also, I was just on the official Disney website and it says that the DVD and Blu-Ray are now both being released on October 6. I'm surprised this wasn't reported on this website yet.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 29th, 2009, 2:22 pm

It's possible it's referring to the combo pack.

Amazon posted new pictures for the Collector set, aka the big red one! To be honest, I lost all interest. Still looks nice, but it's definitely not worth it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 29th, 2009, 10:12 pm

It does look nice, but the LD set I have is loaded with a nice hardcover book, too, so I guess I'm covered. As you said, the price is set a little high.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 29th, 2009, 11:05 pm

Hold it!

Are those lithos/cards repros of original pencil production art?

If so, I may change my mind and get the deluxe collector's set after all!

If there's anything I like most about original production art, it's the pencil art!

Cels fall apart over time starting with the ink tracing and then the actual acrylic paint itself.

With pencil art, the paper turns yellow (same things happen to important political documents, too) first but there are ways to preserve the pencil markings or you just frame them up or put them in protective sleeves. Either way, I've grown to appreciate pencil art from both comics AND animation even more than finished art. It really tells you more about the process and thinking of the artists more than any other pieces of art!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Snow White: Diamond Edition

Post by Dusterian » July 31st, 2009, 1:29 pm

I also think I love the pencil art the most!

In the inking, and even the clean-up sometimes, it's a little removed from how the original animator made it. Like how they said the Xerox process allowed animator's original drawings be seen.

But I do like the finished cel setups very much as well, then it's the finished thing, and the complete, colored thing looks beautiful.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 1st, 2009, 11:17 am

The wonderful Gustaf Tenggren's concepts for Snow White are among my most favorite animation drawings ever. I'm still intrigued by the big set here, but want to weigh up all the options.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 1st, 2009, 1:11 pm

It's $100 off the cost, though!

I doubt this is going to be carried in most stores. It's just too expensive for even Best Buy and there are tons of those "Nightmare Before Christmas" Jack Skellington bust sets that are just sitting there because hardly anyone wants to pay that much or own a bust that big...

I might splurge for this. Snow White is still one of the best animated features made.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 1st, 2009, 3:45 pm

Gulp! Didn't notice the price crash. :)

We'll likely get the bog-standard 2-disc in for review, but I can't resist the packaging on something like this.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 1st, 2009, 5:09 pm

I could see going for the book-only Blu-ray set, but can't see myself splurging on the big box. Even $150 (after discount) is asking way too much, and the $250 list price is just ridiculous.