Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: Diamond Edition

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » April 22nd, 2009, 10:15 am

Yeah,either Snow White herself (And there are human plushies and all the Princesses have thought they look sorta weird),or her animale friends (A bunny or a little blue bird plushies will be adorable) or the magic mirror will be better then the Dwarfs,they should make plushies of the animale friends,not just sidekicks like Flounder and Sebastian or Jaq and Gus,I whould buy an Owl or blue and red birds from Sleeping Beauty plushies or a bluebird and a bunny plushie from Snow White.
They should have desgined the box with the DVD of the Collector Set like the box that the Evil Queen gives to the Huntesman,the plushies does looks like cheap with this plastic bag but the artwork is nice,I just hope that Wal-Mart aren't going to make a stupid set like they did with Sleeping Beauty and Ariel's Beginning.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 22nd, 2009, 2:57 pm

So that $250 box set image <I>isn't</I> for the $250 box set?

Now I'm even more intrigued. Are you talking about the big white coffee table books by Pierre Lambert? I saw those all while at the Disney art show in Paris and would have been tempted but for the French text. Made a mental note to track them down in English...and then forgot.

I'm betting they're OOP now, so this would be neat if it was that kind of book, for me at least.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » April 22nd, 2009, 4:09 pm

Yeah,

I'm gathering that is the case for the image.

I saw something earlier off the Ultimate Disney site (a link to Amazon?) and I'm confused as to which set the picture belongs.

I don't think it's the $250 set unless Disney is charging a ridiculous price for $1 lithos and 50-cent pins....

As for the white Disney books, yes, they're the ones by Pierre Lambert. Two of them -- Mickey Mouse and Pinocchio -- were translated into English. Snow White was not. All three were at one time offered in the US but I passed on Snow White (not so much for the French text) but because I had tons of books on that film already.

I have the books that were translated into English and got them at a lower price while they were available. They are nice books but you have to make your own custom dustjacket protectors because nobody makes plastic slips for books that size! They are also a pain to store because they are heavy and don't fit most book shelves. I got Mickey mainly because I felt as long as I was getting Pinocchio (my favorite classic Disney film) that I get the big enchilada of the Disney corporate empire. There are lots of nice model sheets and reproductions of original cel art and production drawings in both books. They have to be hellaciously expensive since they're long out-of-print.

P.S. -- Did an Amazon check on Mickey Mouse. Looks like THAT book isn't that bad price-wise for a used book that size. http://www.amazon.com/MICKEY-MOUSE-Pier ... 670&sr=1-1

Unfortunately, the other two seem to be much rarer and an unavailability status on Amazon.com is NOT a good sign if you want to get a good deal on books like these! :lol:

I plan on getting some newer Disney books later this year -- including the Stanchfield notes, the next releases in the Studio Archives series (I have the Story book), and maybe a few books by animator/instructors like Nancy Bieman.

I have favorite Disney books among the sketch series released in the late 1990s. The OOP Treasures of Disney Animation Art (full-size edition, not the mini-folio which I also have) is also a nice book chalk full of pencil art which I happen to prefer over inked and cel art...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 22nd, 2009, 4:16 pm

So the SW book could be the one translated for this? Not saying it will be, but that would be pretty cool. Darn...wish I knew the SW book wasn't in English anyway...I'd have picked that up at the silly low show price it was going for.

By the way, huge books like those find themselves lined up on my sturdy LD shelves. I don't keep the books stacked alongside the LD boxes (though I keep wondering why I don't do that), but the top half is for LDs and the bottom for the big art books.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » April 22nd, 2009, 5:07 pm

As an aside, I did manage to score a 'mint-condition' copy of Pierre Lambert's Blanche Neige book -- slipcased, no less -- from a seller on eBay France, about a year ago. 8)

The price was a 'steal' (IMO), at €60 .. though, the shipping cost to California worked out to about half that amount, so it actually cost around €90 (roughly US$120) to get it in my hands. Still, that was far preferable to the ~US$400 prices at which I'd seen it offered, on occasion.

It's a fantastic work .. and rather 'luxurious'; the paper used is thicker and glossier, the image reproduction finer, and the binding sturdier than the english editions of Lambert's Mickey Mouse and Pinocchio.

All three books are well-worth owning, however .. whether in french or in english. :)

I agree that an english-language edition of Lambert's Blanche Neige book is long-overdue -- but I also agree with GeorgeC's assertion that Disney tends to offer such 'high-end' items 'on their own', rather than as part of a home video boxed set ..

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 22nd, 2009, 5:13 pm

Ben wrote:So that $250 box set image isn't for the $250 box set?

I would say no, with the information we have and the way UD wrote it, it's quite obvious the image I posted is for the $250 set. If you do the math for each item individually, I think the amount Disney is asking for is pretty fair -- if it's $170ish retail. (though I am hoping for it to be a tad cheaper)

The lithos aren't the small kind, they appear to be the normal sized ones, which aren't cheap and I'm guessing they will also be made of the thick kind of paper, much like the lithos the first Platinum received if you pre-ordered from the Disney Store/Catalog. And with the pins, well, they go for a lot, especially complete sets in a little case. And a normal sized book, Blu combo, box and whatever else? That all adds up.

We should be finding out more concrete info soon, though I don't expect much more about the big set. If the picture is accurate, that all it's going to be. We just need to get a picture and more info for the $59.99 SRP one, which I believe is just book packaging and not much else. (people are speculating it will receive a book too, but I don't)

It is a little confusing, but as little as we're having, imagine what the average customer is going to have!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » April 22nd, 2009, 11:22 pm

If that is the case -- and I wish Disney would clarify some details on these sets --, I'm passing on the $250 edition book or no book.

I've got no use for lithos and pin sets to be honest.

I could deal with a book case for the Blu-ray but am honestly going to wait and see more pictures of this. If it's just special casing, I'm saving my money. Nothing special to see on the other sets as far as I'm concerned.

I've also got about all the Snow White books that I care for. Don't need Pierre Lambert's either.

My prize of the Snow White collection is the Apple Books' facsimile edition of the 1938 British Snow White Sketchbook. That was the forerunner to the regular trade edition of the Bambi Sketchbook and Deluxe Slipcase Bambi (which I didn't get since it was the same thing as the trade) and other Slipcase Sketchbooks that followed. Snow White Sketchbook is still the best of the lot IMHO. The Little Mermaid Sketchbook definitely could have been better than it was. A proper "Art of"/Making of book is still needed for that film -- and no, I don't think the folio edition Disney Press published really counts as a great "Art of The Little Mermaid," either.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » April 23rd, 2009, 5:34 am

There is a Sotheby's auction catalogue from 1989 titled The Art of The Little Mermaid, which features 200+ full-color pages of artwork from the film -- it's all background paintings and cel set-ups, though; no development art or drawings.

The three books combined make a semi-respectable substitute for an 'Art Of' book.

I do agree that a proper 'Making Of' book for The Little Mermaid would be nice to have, though .. after all, 2009 does mark the film's 20th anniversary. :idea:

/we now return you to the Snow White Platinum Edition DVD thread, which is already in progress

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 24th, 2009, 2:22 pm

Here's a pic of the Collectors Book set, ie, the non plush or Deluxe one:

<Snip>

Or got to Amazon directly, where you can zoom in on it... original pic link didn't want to show.

Very reminiscent of the UK box set, even the center image is that of the original Platnum... it does look nice though, and definitely better than the current covers. And it does have a book after all, my mistake! Judging from the pictures we already have, I'm guessing it's a completely different book.

Very tempting, it's still on my radar...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 24th, 2009, 5:21 pm

I hate how Amazon has the reviews up for the previous edition when these are such different releases.

This looks nice, though...yeah, just like the UK sets, which I have SW in (still need to pick up Sleeping Beauty and Dalmatians!).

I'm betting 100% that the book won't be as thick and juicy as it looks there. In fact, I bet it ends up being a reprint of the book included in the UK set, which seems to be the basic design concept behind this.

My initial though was "yay, maybe they'll at least start giving the Platinums some consistent packaging on Blu", but a split second later I remembered we'd already had Sleeping Beauty and Pinocchio - each with different styles of packaging already!

I'd have to see what the book was, and without anything else to choose from I'd probably go for that instead of *just* the BD cased version, but so far it's still the big one for me.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » April 24th, 2009, 5:36 pm

Heh.

Might be worth getting the book edition after all!

If it's only $12 more than the regular edition... very tempting.

Passing on the others, though.

Plushes don't do it for me and I can do without pins and lithos. Got enough of those from the other releases already!

I know that picture on Amazon.com WASN'T up the other day when I looked up information about these sets.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by MrsTashlin » April 24th, 2009, 9:47 pm

maybe i am dense....

why does the BLU RAY say Oct 6 for release, and the regular DVD say Nov. 24?

dont they both come out October 6?

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » April 24th, 2009, 10:10 pm

I broke the announcement about this (that I saw on another site) on Page 4 of this thread...

I saw the news on this site -- http://news.toonzone.net/articles/29288 ... re-new-dvd

The Snow White Blu ray editions are getting a seven-week exclusive debut ahead of the DVD editions.

Not to worry if you don't have a Blu ray player. A copy of the movie DVD WILL be included with all the Blu ray releases.

This is the first time Disney is doing this for a major Blu ray release. If sales are encouraging, they will probably do this for future Platinum line releases.

We're in the early stages of a video transition. DVD will still be around for many years because a lot of smaller companies still can't afford to transition to hi-def production and there are many older films and TV shows that WON'T benefit from Blu ray technology. Blu ray players themselves ARE backwardly compatible with DVD so it's not like you have to throw away all your collection, either.

There will come a time when many major releases WON'T be released on DVD but we're still quite a few years away from that occurring.

I think this is a market test -- it's not written-in-stone corporate policy for Disney Home Video yet.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by MrsTashlin » April 26th, 2009, 11:51 am

thank you for clearing that up. Oh well, i still have night of the creeps to look forward to in October. Just have to wait till Nov for Snow White.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 26th, 2009, 2:53 pm

GeorgeC wrote:I think this is a market test -- it's not written-in-stone corporate policy for Disney Home Video yet.

I still think it's that they want to test the market AND be able to sell it twice (ie., to keep their October Platinum marketing, and to cash in on nervously tie-in selling TP&TF's "princess" angle at a more opportune November season), but you're welcome to your attention-grabbingly overwritten opinion. :P