Kung Fu Panda

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » August 27th, 2008, 4:37 pm

Sorry Daniel - I thought that since Disney paid DreamWorks to make "Shrek the Halls" for them that it would make sense that Disney would own it. I guess I'm wrong about that because now I hear the deal was that DreamWorks would produce it for Disney to air on ABC for 15 years but the DVD is co-owned by both companies until the 15 years lapses.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » August 27th, 2008, 5:07 pm

I don't think Disney has anything to do with any Shrek film at all.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » August 27th, 2008, 5:53 pm

I know it’s easier for everyone to think that Disney and DreamWorks are sworn enemies forever but the fact is that Disney owns ABC and ABC did ask DreamWorks to produce the Christmas special for them.

jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2006/11/06/6599.aspx

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 15th, 2008, 9:24 pm

KUNG FU PANDA:

Details just in on the DVD. I'll post full specs in Tooning In tomorrow, but as for now the big news is that "Secrets Of The Furious Five" is...

...just a short. A long short at 22 minutes, but just a short. :(

I think you guys will like the bonus features (commentary, yay!) though the Blu-ray seems to forgo the new short and a few extras...!?

Anyway, that's the heads up...more tomorrow... :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 16th, 2008, 2:13 pm

Just finished reading it... man. :( Not fair on the BD side of things. Sure we get the movie in HD, (in stunning 1080p!) along with most of the features, but leaving out "Secrets of The Furious Five" - not cool. I hope it was omitted accidentally, or at the very least offered with the BD as a store exclusive. Depending on who's at the helm, I seriously doubt the short will disappoint.

Guess we'll see, but I'm definitely not double-dipping for a 22 minute short. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » September 16th, 2008, 2:36 pm

Wait,the DVD was released today?.
So what's the Secrets Of The Furious Five short is about?.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 16th, 2008, 2:40 pm

Please read Ben's Tooning In. Really, Once. :|

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 16th, 2008, 11:16 pm

According to this, the Blu-ray WILL have Secrets Of The Furious Five:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/ ... _Date/2088

If so, then good news!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » September 17th, 2008, 11:38 am

Daniel wrote:Please read Ben's Tooning In. Really, Once. :|
Well,I didn't noticed that,I don't go to Animated-Views everyday.
Anyway then it's another short like Club Oscar and Far,Far Away Idol.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 17th, 2008, 1:27 pm

Thanks for the the link, Rand! Hooray! :) IF it turns out to be true, which it probably will... hopefully.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 17th, 2008, 2:37 pm

I would be very surprised if not...it doesn't make sense, but the specs released so far do not place them together, unless it's the same regular DVD with the Blu-ray, which still doesn't make sense?

And why not, if it <I>is</I> included in hi-def, put them on the same disc? That's a <I>heck</I> of a lot of wasted space otherwise...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Kung Fu Panda on Blu Ray

Post by PULPHERO33 » September 18th, 2008, 7:23 am

I just took a look at the specifications of Kung Fu Panda on Blu Ray and Im confused. nowhere did it mention the Secrets of the Furious Five that will be released with the standard DVD release, um does that mean that the Blu Ray version of the movie wont have this on it?...... Thats just monumentally stupid, I mean why?

Does that mean that If I want to get the movie in HD and still get the Secrets of the Furious Five Im gonna have to buy both versions of the movie?

UGH!!! Why would they do something like that?

You can read the official press release here http://news.toonzone.net/article.php?ID=26075

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 18th, 2008, 7:47 am

I've moved PulpHero's message, posted above, into this thread since we were already talking about the DVD and Blu-ray version of KFP.

Pulp, nudge up a bit and see what we've been saying...it's not clear at this point, though it <I>appears</I> BD people will be getting the Furious Five in some kind of format. What's not clear is if it will be in HD, confirmed by the fact that several of the extras from the standard-def Furious Five disc already appear on the hi-def disc of KFP.

It wouldn't be the first time...DWs has already left the Penguins Christmas short off the Madagascar BD...who knows what their thinking is, but we really shouldn't be talking double dips on a format that is, to all intents and purposes, still establishing itself. The last thing it needs is for people not to be buying titles because better editions could come out. Blu-ray should really be about the ultimate in everything: sound, picture and extras.

But...alas, as we're seeing more and more...it's not. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PULPHERO33 » September 18th, 2008, 5:50 pm

Oh this really sucks! I do hope it's some kind of mistake and the Blu Ray will have the short on it, I mean it seriously does not make any sense.

Us Blu Ray player owners are buying the more expensive version of the film and we dont get the bonus short? I just can't wrap my head around it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » September 19th, 2008, 1:04 pm

:cry: Here are pictures of the Blu-Ray cases and it looks like "Secrets of The Furious Five" will not be on the Disc. :evil:

www.thehdroom.com/news/Updated_Kung_Fu_ ... unday/3452