Meet The Robinsons

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » April 24th, 2006, 5:08 am

Well, having worked with 3D for a semester, I can say that teaching yourself over the summer (like you plan to) is the best thing you can do. It's such a complex thing to learn. Maya probably has 100 different menus and buttons. It's enough to drive one mad, I tell you.

Here's an original character I worked on in Maya but never finished. It's further along than what you see now, but I don't have any updated images yet.

3D is something you learn by exploring and experimenting, but it's time consuming. I've considered maybe becoming an illustrator instead, you know, like a character designer.

And I too am waiting for the return of 2D. I've heard rumors of Pixar starting 2D films of their own because they want to try it out. One can only hope...

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » April 24th, 2006, 7:47 am

PixarVixen wrote:And I too am waiting for the return of 2D
Trust me, it's coming. Bob Iger is a great asset to the company and he clearly understands that in order for Disney to make a profit it needs to make quality films, and when people think of quality animation, 2D comes to mind. I'm looking forward to MTR and I do enjoy cgi, but it can't last on it's own forever. 2D will return and Disney will lead the way and then the world will make sense again. I'm hoping to be a director one day as well, so I can hire you guys for my production. :D

P.S. Welcome YCougar!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 24th, 2006, 8:15 am

Well, that's assuming CGI is a fad. It's not, and I don't think it'll ever go 'out of style'. Sure, 2-D will come back but CGI films will still be made.

You guys are really lucky you're animation students right now! I still have to wait a few years...Poo.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » April 24th, 2006, 8:16 am

No it won't go out of style but it'll have to find a place along side traditional animation.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 24th, 2006, 8:19 am

That would be awesome.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » April 24th, 2006, 8:23 am

Yeah I think Rapunzel is going to be the film that shows you can blend the two and translate the sophistication of 2D to 3D. So far all we've had is very 'cartoony' cg movies and I would really like to see the equivalent of Pocahontas and The Lion King in CG. Very dramatic features rather than the emphasis being purely on comedy. So far the only film that has got closest to that is probably The Incredibles.... Or Final Fantasy, but we won't go there.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 24th, 2006, 11:59 am

Movie-Man wrote:Are you on crack? How will that film make that much money? In fact, how would you know it will get people's attention?
Movie Man, can you please stop stop quoting the previous message all the time and restrain yourself from being so argumentative, opinionated and downright rude?

You have continued to ignor my comments and requests. From now on I will simply start deleting your posts as and when you do not acknowledge these warnings.

If you continue to do what we have asked nicely about, then you will be banned. This is a second warning. There will be no third.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » April 24th, 2006, 1:52 pm

chernabog wrote:Bob Iger is a great asset to the company and he clearly understands that in order for Disney to make a profit it needs to make quality films, and when people think of quality animation, 2D comes to mind.
I have to disagree with that statement. For Disney to make a high profit film, it does not matter whether it is in CG or traditional, black & white or color. It does not matter what the medium is. What does matter is that it has to be a musical. Disney is known for their musicals. Think of the most popular Disney movies (TLK, Aladdin, Snow White, Cinderella, Peter Pan (to an extent), Pocahontas, Hunchback, Mulan, Hercules, BatB, TLM, etc)....all were musicals in which there was a princess-like figure & prince-like figure with an evil villain and some type of side kick. Some call that a formula, but hey, it worked for for 60 sixty years. Now let's look at WDFA's less popular films.... Sword in the Stone, Aristocats, The Rescuers, Brother Bear,e tc. All strayed from that formula and were no where near as popular as the other films. Now yes, there were a few films that broke that rule (Tarzan, Lilo & Stitch and Home on the Range come to mind), but for the most part, that formula ruled. So it is my opinion that for Disney to make film everybody loves again, they need a musical with a princess-like figure, prince-like figure, evil villain and funny sidekick.
I do enjoy cgi, but it can't last on it's own forever.
Why not? People said that same thing about color movies and movies with sound.
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » April 24th, 2006, 2:04 pm

Ummm - Aristocats was definitely a musical in that same formula. Of course it's also one of my all time favorites.
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 24th, 2006, 3:34 pm

I don't think every Disney movie has to be a musical. Some are better with music, but some aren't. I can't imagine The Lion King not being a musical, but at the same time I can't picture The Incredibles as a musical (okay, that wasn't Disney, but still.) Musicals have to be done exactly right, too – the songs have to forward the story and not halt it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » April 24th, 2006, 3:38 pm

People said that same thing about color movies and movies with sound.
Yes and now look at the state of cinema, attendance i sway down thanks to growing interest in video games and the blockbuster is becoming a thing of the past.

You can't compare the introduction of colour movies and sound to that of cg animation anyway. The former changed movies entirely and brought about a complete change whereas cg animation has only replaced traditional animation, not every form of film making. Also, many cg films are considered samey with a very obvious focus on comedy and have been extremely limited in terms of depth and emotion. Is it impossible to translate the formula of 2d to 3d? No. But as of yet no one has been able to crack it.

Simply put CG animation will not be able to survive on its own because audiences will tire of the same old thing. This year there are a record number of animated films being released because Hollywood has caught on to something that works, like it always does. And once it exhausts its resources, audiences will move onto the next genre.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » April 24th, 2006, 3:42 pm

Oooops, double post
Last edited by askmike1 on April 24th, 2006, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Banned
Banned

Post by Movie-Man » April 24th, 2006, 3:44 pm

askmike1 wrote:Right now, I am hoping & praying that Repunzel will be a musical. If it is (and contains the princess/prince/villain/sidekick formula), it could very well be Disney's biggest movie this decade.
Ah hell no! No way! No!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » April 24th, 2006, 3:44 pm

Brandon Neeld wrote:]Ummm - Aristocats was definitely a musical in that same formula. Of course it's also one of my all time favorites.
Oops, I meant Oliver and Company. Although O&C was a musical, I don't classify it as following the formula. And how many people remember & consider O&C a favorite? How about the Black Cauldron? Sword in the Stone? Right now, I am hoping & praying that Repunzel will be a musical. If it is (and contains the princess/prince/villain/sidekick formula), it could very well be Disney's biggest movie this decade.
I don't think every Disney movie has to be a musical. Some are better with music, but some aren't. I can't imagine The Lion King not being a musical, but at the same time I can't picture The Incredibles as a musical (okay, that wasn't Disney, but still.) Musicals have to be done exactly right, too – the songs have to forward the story and not halt it.
But compared to the formulaic-musicals, how many beloved non-formulaic non-musicals are there? Does anyone really care about Fox & the Hound or Black Cauldron anymore?
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 24th, 2006, 3:47 pm

Chernabog has made a point. However, I don't think it's the medium that's limiting animated movies from being good - it's the people behind them. If a studio really, really wanted to make a Lion King/Aladdin type movie in CGI, they could. The problem is everyone wants to make the same old thing. If the same movies that are coming out this year were 2-D, everything about them would still be the same story wise.