Award archives...

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 14th, 2005, 11:40 am

ShyViolet wrote:I get what you're saying, and I'm not saying the animators are not important. They are. But like you said, what about those who make the decisions.
But this doesn't translate to other fields. In sports fans argue mostly about the players themselves and only occasionally about the management. Even in Hollywood (sans animation) the focus in usually on directors and actors, not producers and executives. So why all the hoopla for animation executives?

I'm not picking on you Violet, just bringing this up as a general question since this thread is talking about the topic.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 14th, 2005, 11:43 am

That's O.K! No biggie. I just thought I would defend my position.

I think you're right about most executives not being that involved in the process. But Katzenberg is not typical, and never has been.

Many stories have commented on how Katzenberg was much more involved in the filmmaking process (with both live-action AND animated films) than typical executives when he was at Disney. Katzenberg is not a typical executive, especially at DW. He has taken a producer credit more than once, and many consider him to be the de facto "director" of most of DW's films. So there you go.

Ex: The whole Monet/David Lean thing going on in POE was JK's idea
Pocahontas being really sexy.
The hip humor and fast pace in the Lion King.

It goes on and on...... :roll:

Roy, on the other hand, was your classic noninvolved executive. He spent most of his time going on yachting trips and golfing vacations. He dropped in occasionally. But I guess he couldn't stand the fact that Katzenberg actually spent time with the animators.
At least maybe the new book, DisneyWar, will clear things up once and for all....
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » February 14th, 2005, 6:20 pm

Yeah, look at how great those ideas of good old Katzenbergs were. The man is highly over rated plain and simple and no one ever said anything about Roy.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 14th, 2005, 7:34 pm

Special_Ed wrote:Yeah, look at how great those ideas of good old Katzenbergs were. The man is highly over rated plain and simple and no one ever said anything about Roy.
I've read letters and excerpts printed on SaveDisney.com. These people think of Roy as the second coming, that Frank Wells saved Disney and that Michael Eisner is the antiChrist. They NEVER mention Katzenberg.

And what about Fantasia 2000? Big success, right? :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » February 14th, 2005, 8:00 pm

" I've read letters and excerpts printed on SaveDisney.com. These people think of Roy as the second coming, that Frank Wells saved Disney and that Michael Eisner is the antiChrist. They NEVER mention Katzenberg."

Maybe because whenever they do mention him he sues them....

"And what about Fantasia 2000? Big success, right?"

No more a success than Fantasia 1940. Kinda hard to make money with just IMAX theaters....

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 14th, 2005, 8:49 pm

Special_Ed wrote:" I've read letters and excerpts printed on SaveDisney.com. These people think of Roy as the second coming, that Frank Wells saved Disney and that Michael Eisner is the antiChrist. They NEVER mention Katzenberg."

Maybe because whenever they do mention him he sues them....

"And what about Fantasia 2000? Big success, right?"

No more a success than Fantasia 1940. Kinda hard to make money with just IMAX theaters....
Huh? Katzenberg sues who? People who post? Why would he do that?
Do you mean Roy and Stan? I was talking about people who wrote letters.

And personally, I think if Fantasia 2000 WAS shown on any other screen but IMAX, people would have noticed how simplistic and pointless it really was....I think Disney was probably afraid to release it in any other form. Why else would the movie have taken like, fifteen years to come out??

It'll probably get a rep as the kind of film you have to be stoned (or falling-down drunk) to appreciate.... I mean, flying whales....C'mon! That just doesn't jibe. It's not anywhere near as clever as the dancing hippo/crocodile thing. They should have stuck with the Disney characters getting diplomas...at least THAT might have been funny.

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » February 14th, 2005, 9:46 pm

I was speaking of Disney. He sued them a few times so that probably adds to why he rarely gets spoken of. There is no conspiracy. He has been shown and mentioned several times in books and DVDs since he left. He was not the dominating force as Disney he'd have you believe. You've been duped.

The reason it took 15 years to make Fantasia 2000 is because the segments were done inbetween features as busy work. Nothing wrong with that. Although the film isn't great it has a fw good segments. If it were shown on other screens at first the film would have been longer with a mix of older and new. Imax dictated the length.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 15th, 2005, 1:17 am

I've gotta side with Ed here...

Katzenberg is highly overrated as is the majority of DreamWorks' film output.

While it was Disney's current CEO and vice-dunces who pulled the final plug on 2-D feature animation, remember that it was Katzenberg who first declared "tradigital" dead because kiddies only want polygon characters. Never mind the fact that the ideas and characters for most of the failed traditional films of the past 10 years STUNK to high heaven.

(Hollywood execs never get tired of coining new inane phrases like "tradigital" and making excuses for why films bomb hard.)

There's also an important difference between Walt Disney and Katzenberg (and others of Katzenberg's ilk which includes Eisner). They don't have the patience and fortitude to weather through hard-times and keep the animation production crews intact between projects like Walt Disney did. They evidently had very little trouble giving the orders to lay off hundreds of people at the worst possible times (Disney Florida got their pinkslip notices around Thanksgiving/Christmas season) and making excuses for why films failed. It was never the fault of plots, characterizations, or the massive incompetence of production managers at Disney and DreamWorks. It was always the mood and faddish climate of the consumer in the US and larger world market.

And I'm sorry, Violet, but Walt Disney was NOT as evil as people would have you believe. There's no evidence from anybody credible (ie, who doesn't have an axe to grind or believes Disney ruined American culture) that the guy was anything like a rabid racist, bigot, or hayseed. For a "rube from the Midwest" (basically what Richard Schickel reduces Disney and anybody from the Midwest to being in the book, The Disney Version), Disney struck it richer than Bugsy Siegel ever did in Vegas -- and lived to reap the rewards of his visions! :lol:

Walt perfect? Nope! He occasionally swore, was short-tempered with people, and smoked like a chimney => which is what killed him in the end. BUT, he created a legacy of entertainment that no other individual has matched and his studio won more Academy Awards during his lifetime than any other corporate entities. Nobody, I repeat, NOBODY, has matched that record yet.

The problem today is not solely Eisner or Katzenberg. It's that we don't have people willing to take risks, but more importantly that nobody of the caliber of Walt Disney exists in the current Hollywood corporate culture. They're all financial vultures with not a creative bone or understanding of stories and the general human condition in their souls. Even the old movie barons/studio moguls of the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s actually LIKED movies and understood you had to produce QUALITY films along with the B-level movies and disposable shorts. It's all about money today, and that overwhelming obsession with money has destroyed the quality of films in general.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by AniMan » February 15th, 2005, 11:31 am

I think the people at Pixar fall into the same caliber you ascribe to Walt Disney. They are all about the creative side of filmmaking. They consistently emphasize story and character over formula and marketing. They seem to believe that what they are working on at any given time is a work of art, just like Disney did in his day. :)
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
---[i]Master Yoda[/i]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Phil » February 15th, 2005, 12:57 pm

Comparing Walt Disney, Jeffrey Katzenberg, and Roy Disney:

Disclaimer: I don't know any of these people personally, nor have I ever worked for any of them, so this is all just conjecture based on things I've heard and read.

Of course there is only one Walt Disney. He was a hands-on producer with an (almost) unerring sense for putting together exactly what was needed to make a great movie. He may not have been the greatest person, but he was (IMO) the greatest film producer.

Jeffrey Katzenberg is a hands-on producer like Walt Disney. The difference is that he does not have the spot-on sense for what goes into a great movie. He has produced some great films, but he has also made a lot of not-so-great films.

Roy Disney is a hands off producer. He got his position not because of his talents in movie-making, but for his experience in the family business. He knows what works (or what has worked in the past), but he cannot necessarily do it himself.

If I were an animator (which I'm not) I think I would rather work for Roy Disney. Because of his limitations, he seems the type to stand back and let talented people be talented. Katzenberg, on the other hand, seems to be an archetype of the meddling suit. Much more successful than most, but still putting his own vision (be it creative, financial, or for prestige) ahead of the creative people who work for him.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Walt/Katz

Post by ShyViolet » February 16th, 2005, 2:37 pm

I never said I thought Walt Disney was evil. Like you said, George, he wasn't always the nicest guy but he WAS a genius who did amazing things. I never disputed that.
All I was trying to say was that Katzenberg was not always the nicest guy either, but that doesn't make him the devil...

How can you possibly compare Eisner and Katzenberg together when it comes to animation? I mean, look at the films Eisner was supervising over the past few years and compare them to the films Katzenberg produced (both at DW and at Disney). Did Eisner risk everything to found his own animation studio? Did Eisner spend hours and hours in the Disney archives trying to learn what animation was all about? Did he actually spend time with the animators and make real decisions about these movies? I don't think so. Oh, I was reading in DisneyWar how Toy Story was basically only about a bunch of toys coming to life until Katzenberg advised Lassetter to watch buddy movies like Another 48 Hours and try to model the film after films like that.

Katzenberg has said many times that it's ridiculous to blame the art form/artists for a film being bad...that "it's bad stories not told well." He has said this in many interviews. He did try to make 2d films with traditional plots, and they didn't do well. He has taken responsiblity for their failures in interviews, saying that the old-fashioned stories--his decision--were to blame. He never said "I realized that 2d was completely out and it's all the artists' fault."

How much longer are people going to crucify Katzenberg over being an executive? So he wasn't originally an animator? Big deal! (Neither was Roy). I know it's "politically correct", at least in the world of animation, to say these things about Katzenberg, to hate a DW movie before it's even been released, and then when it turns out to be good say that it had nothing to do with HIM. Oh, by the way, I know that Hades in Hercules was based on Katzenberg, a la Musker and Clements' grudge or whatever it was for *Not Letting Us Make Treasure Planet* (Spectacular film that it was, right?) Personally, I think doing that was really immature. Just like it was immature for them to run crying to Roy when K didn't want them to make TP. Hercules was bad, Treasure Planet was bad, and they have only themselves to blame.

BTW, I don't know why anyone would want to work for Roy. Apparently one of his biggest peeves back in the day was that Katzenberg had so many early animation meetings and 6 and 7:00 in the morning. That was Roy's big problem--having to show up early for work. Oh, now I see why he wanted K fired.

Also, the reason Katzenberg sued Disney--once--was because they wouldn't pay him the $ they owed him from unpaid bonuses. He filed the suit in April 1996 (after NUMEROUS attempts to settle without having to go to court) and it was settled in July of 1999.
All I was trying to say was that it's ridiculous to have a "SaveDisney" webpage and barely mention the man who was the studio chief for ten years, the first ten and MOST SUCCESSFUL years.

I thought the whole point of Dream On, Silly Dreamer was not to forget the past. To preserve the talents and efforts that went into making these great films. But, as usual, I guess that doesn't apply to Katzenberg. :roll:

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » February 17th, 2005, 3:01 am

" How can you possibly compare Eisner and Katzenberg together when it comes to animation? I mean, look at the films Eisner was supervising over the past few years and compare them to the films Katzenberg produced (both at DW and at Disney). Did Eisner risk everything to found his own animation studio? Did Eisner spend hours and hours in the Disney archives trying to learn what animation was all about? Did he actually spend time with the animators and make real decisions about these movies? "

I've done all those things. Does that make me a success? no. It's what I do with my resources that does that. If we patted everyone on the back who tried to do something then nothing would ever get done. A for effort, huh?

" Katzenberg has said many times that it's ridiculous to blame the art form/artists for a film being bad...that "it's bad stories not told well." He has said this in many interviews."

He also said "2-D is dead" and "I don't make movies like that anymore." He spins more than Bill Clinton on a good day.

"He did try to make 2d films with traditional plots, and they didn't do well."

I wouldn't call the plots he attempted traditional. They were EPICS. Epics aimed to garnr a best picture oscar.

" He never said "I realized that 2d was completely out"

But he did, see above.

"I know it's "politically correct", at least in the world of animation, to say these things about Katzenberg, to hate a DW movie before it's even been released, and then when it turns out to be good say that it had nothing to do with HIM."

It has nothing to do with being PC, it's fact. The only film Dreamworks had that "turned out good" was Shrek and that was because it bashed Disney. That was how Shrek got an audience. Through bashing Disney and penis jokes. Yep, old Jeff is a freakin' Walt Disney! What a legacy!

" Oh, by the way, I know that Hades in Hercules was based on Katzenberg, a la Musker and Clements' grudge or whatever it was for *Not Letting Us Make Treasure Planet* (Spectacular film that it was, right?)"

It was the animators who did that, not Ron and John. They didn't know about it until near completion. And Treasure Planet would have been okay if the executives had left it alone. It was the film that made Glen Keane leave hand drawn animation. He's said he'd never seen a film as micromanaged as that.

"Personally, I think doing that was really immature."

You mean like all the Eisner/Disney jabs in Shrek? At least Hades wasn't so blatently obvious.

"Hercules was bad, Treasure Planet was bad, and they have only themselves to blame. "

What's wrong with Hercules? I know lots of people who like if not love that film. The only flaws it has are the songs and the altered ending to ensure more cheapquels, which Katzenberg started....but we don't want to point fingers...

" BTW, I don't know why anyone would want to work for Roy. Apparently one of his biggest peeves back in the day was that Katzenberg had so many early animation meetings and 6 and 7:00 in the morning. That was Roy's big problem--having to show up early for work. Oh, now I see why he wanted K fired. "

YAWN....speculation. Give us some hard core facts.

" All I was trying to say was that it's ridiculous to have a "SaveDisney" webpage and barely mention the man who was the studio chief for ten years, the first ten and MOST SUCCESSFUL years. "

But they mention Eisner EVERYWHERE on that page....

" I thought the whole point of Dream On, Silly Dreamer was not to forget the past. To preserve the talents and efforts that went into making these great films. But, as usual, I guess that doesn't apply to Katzenberg"

Because you have him on some pedastal that those who worked with him know to be false.

You know, you should try to date JK's son. You'd be the pefect daughter in law for the guy. lol. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 17th, 2005, 12:45 pm

YAWN....speculation. Give us some hard core facts.
All that stuff about Roy's problems with Jeff and his work methods was in DisneyWar. (Stewart specifically interviewed Roy) Oh, and if you want to talk about "spin", just go to SaveDisney.com. They change their "ideas", like, evey day. One day Eisner's bad for having too many companies like Miramax, the next day he's bad for not doing what Michael Moore wants and having fights with Harvey Weinstein.
It was the animators who did that, not Ron and John. They didn't know about it until near completion.
What about that Jim Hill article that pointed out how Ron and Jon met with James Woods and they all decided together that they would model Hades after Katzenberg?(as "payback" for making them do Hercules before Treasure Planet). And how could they POSSIBLY not know about it until the end, with his long skinny face, bug eyes, bald head (except for the flames)....James Woods sure knew what he was doing.....(see bottom of the page)
Treasure Planet would have been okay if the executives had left it alone. It was the film that made Glen Keane leave hand drawn animation. He's said he'd never seen a film as micromanaged as that.

Maybe that was because the idea was wrong in the first place, and K was smart enough to see that.
You mean like all the Eisner/Disney jabs in Shrek? At least Hades wasn't so blatently obvious
Shrek basically poked fun at a whole organization/culture (Disney) and Hades was modled on ONE PERSON. Faarquad looked like Eisner but not THAT much. They didn't imitate Eisner's voice anyway, just his face.

What's wrong with Hercules? I know lots of people who like if not love that film. The only flaws it has are the songs and the altered ending to ensure more cheapquels, which Katzenberg started....but we don't want to point fingers...
I like Hercules too but it lacked that substantial, epic sense that a lot of the earlier films had. A lot of critics said that when this film came out that it marked a definite downturn in Disney features. Plus it has like a thousand plotholes. (How could Hades not KNOW Hercules wasn't dead at the begining of the film and not just mortal? Wouldn't Herc have gone straight to the underworld if he really was dead?)
*****BTW what exactly was the "altered" ending????
He spins more than Bill Clinton on a good day.
Like Roy Disney doesn't. This guy is totally milking the prestige of his last name and playing on people's feelings for the company. At the same time he won't talk about his years at Disney or anything he's actually done/accomplished.
It has nothing to do with being PC, it's fact. The only film Dreamworks had that "turned out good" was Shrek and that was because it bashed Disney. That was how Shrek got an audience. Through bashing Disney and penis jokes. Yep, old Jeff is a freakin' Walt Disney! What a legacy!

Shrek wasn't just good because of the anti-Disney thing. Y'know more than half the people I've spoken to about that movie didn't even GET the whole Disney referance, or barely. That film succeeded because it was well-told, funny, clever, and sweet.

There are a lot of great things about the other DW films too (like Prince of Egypt) but sometimes certain films just aren't marketed right or don't catch on. POE and Antz both made a tidy profit (more than 100 million and 90 million respectively). So did SharkTale (and just made A LOT in DVD sales too). Madagascar is showing lots of promise. I'd hesitaite to say Shrek was the only success. That's a common misconception.
Because you have him on some pedastal that those who worked with him know to be false.

I really don't think so. I've read in a lot of places that many of the artists who worked at Disney said that after Katzenberg left, nothing was ever the same and things basically went to hell. A couple of years ago, around the time the first Shrek came out, the New York observer did a story in which several artists at Disney (like Tom Sito) cited Jeffrey's presence at Disney to be the main reason for the animated films' success.
You know, you should try to date JK's son. You'd be the pefect daughter in law for the guy. lol
I think his son prefers the Mary-Kate Olsen type. :roll: :oops:

From Terry Rossio and Ted Elliot's (writers of Aladdin, Shrek, El Dorado, other films) site WordPlay www.wordplayer.com
JEFFREY KATZENBERG: Jeffrey is the consummate executive. He's always at the right place at the right time -- whether it's a charity event, the opening of a movie, giving a speech, an animation story meeting. I would find it easier to believe he's one of a set of triplets than to believe that, day in and day out, he keeps up the schedule that he does. Just one example: on the weekend that ALADDIN opened, he took time out to call on Sunday with the overnight numbers. Now, just think about that a second. Here's a busy studio executive who takes time out to call one of the screenwriters on the weekend, just to let them know a film's opening numbers.
Part of what makes Jeffrey such a great leader -- and what gets people to commit years of their lives to his cause -- is his willingness to work. When the guy who's working harder than anyone else asks you to do something, it's hard to answer no.
Also, I find Jeffrey to be one of the warmest and compassionate people I've ever met. Once I saw him come to the aid of a writer in a story meeting who was struggling to make a point. "Relax," he said, "You don't need to audition. You've got the job." Katzenberg has an amazing insight into human nature. He knew just what the writer was worried about, and just what to say. Knowing the human heart helps him not only in business, but it's the cornerstone of his creative instincts in story meetings.
The only small technique I can offer from hanging around with Katzenberg: one way he gets so much accomplished is he's eliminated 'ramp time' from his life. He comes into a meeting on the phone, finishes the call, and is ready. He doesn't need to warm up, or 'ramp up' to the meeting. And when it's done, he's out of his chair, off to the next thing -- he doesn't seem to need to unwind, or 'ramp down' afterwards. When you think about it, how much time do all of us spend just getting ready, or recovering afterwards? (Yeah, yeah, the joke is obvious: Jeffrey is all action, no foreplay or afterglow. But he gets the job done!)
From Hollywood.com

Grumpy Disney animators chide studio chiefs
By Lew Irwin, Studio Briefings
A number of Disney animators are expressing strong dissatisfaction with the direction of the studio since the departure of Jeffrey Katzenberg and his replacement by Tom Schumacher, with several saying that the current emphasis has gone from featuring character and story to showing off whiz-bang graphics. In an interview with the New York Observer, Disney animator Tom Sito remarked that Katzenberg "doesn't give notes like 'That character's hair is the wrong color.' He says, 'I don't believe he loves her, and without a love story you don't have a movie.'" Another animator told the Observer that recent Disney films may be "technically proficient but very deficient in terms of storytelling and character." The publication also quoted from a note posted on the Motley Fool Web site last week by 20-year Disney veteran animator Dave Pruiksma who, referring to Disney's latest release, remarked: "With Atlantis, it was more about filling the screen with action than developing characters and story. And that's what makes Shrek popular--the writing and the vocal performances."

From WordPlay
Katzenberg Pitch Tips
Screenwriting Letter 24

I've got to pitch to Jeffrey Katzenberg next week. You've worked with him before. Got any tips?

Sure. Here's a quick list:

1. You can expect that he will say one thing at the start of the meeting to put you at ease. Often some kind of joke. He recognizes the stress of the 'audition' and will attempt to alleviate it, in order to do his job, which is to truly assess the talent of the people there, and the quality of the project. But, ONE THING to put you at ease is all you get, then it's time to go.

2. What time of day is it? Katzenberg is fresh and sharp in the AM. Remember, his day starts at 6AM -- and he's running a movie studio, overseeing every detail of any number of animated movies in production, several in development, is the top guy in DreamWorks television, negotiating deals, etc., etc. If you have a really complex or intellectual concept, you should try to get him in the morning. As the day goes on, he tends to shift his focus... more emotion-driven stuff, or visually-driven stuff is best for the afternoons.

3. He's quick. He will make up his mind fast. Don't dally!

4. In meetings, you can expect that he will be quiet at the beginning. Especially if there are others there. He likes to include the group, likes for everyone to get involved. A sign you are doing well is if he speaks up and starts to re-phrase the pitch in his own terms.

5. He's smart. Don't underestimate him. You can't really overestimate him, he will always surprise you.

6. He is observant, a real student of human nature. You cannot hide anything from him, so don't try. He will respect you more if you say, "I think that sucks" or "We don't know that yet." He can smell a vamp a mile away.

7. Tell him how you got to where you are. Bring him into the process -- he likes to take part; he wants to play, too. Disagree with him. Or agree with him. Joke with him. Engage him in the real issues.

8. If there is one thing you should stress in your pitch, it's EMOTION.

9. If there's another thing you should stress in your pitch, it's UNIVERSALITY. Katzenberg often looks for that aspect of a story that touches everyone. That thing we've all experienced, put in dramatic form. If you can work in the phrase, "What we're going for here is that common thing that we've all experienced..." that's a big plus!

-- Terry
Last edited by ShyViolet on February 17th, 2005, 4:42 pm, edited 9 times in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 17th, 2005, 1:13 pm

Well, whatever they did Hades was one hell of a villain. (Ha!) He and Jafar were by far the best Disney villains in a very long time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 17th, 2005, 1:34 pm

I totally agree, I love Hades, but I still think it was kind of mean to model him after Katzenberg...

(and Katzenberg had more reason to be mad at Disney than Ron and John had to be mad at him)